The position held by a project manager serves one of the most crucial roles under scrum technology. Mostly it is deciphered that the project manager and corresponding scrum master perform the same duties under the traditional as well as modern approach.
However, this misconception is widely rejected because roles performed by these two entities are poles apart. In this article, we shall discuss the divergent areas and related information helping the project manager dodge being obsolete in this modern era of agile technology.
A project manager can coherently perform the tasks given to the scrum master by upgrading his/her skills in accordance with the popular demands and even by enhancing the pre-existing skills to robe the role more effectively. Want to know more about scrum master certification visit starAgile website.
Why do we need to switch to the role of Scrum Master?
The post of a project manager is at the verge of being obsolete ever since the business models started adopting the agile framework. However, the prowess gained by a project manager clubbed with the knowledge gained over the years can prove very beneficial for the company when employed.
- To be more focused in an appropriate manner
- The project manager’s traditional job is to make sure that the involved team is adhering to the quality standards and is working on time. He makes sure that the client and the developing team are working in sync and the time goals are being followed.
- However, focuses more on the sprint cycle. does not look at the complete goal. He/She ensures that the small goals are prepared for a particular sprint cycle and these minor goals are achieved in order to obtain the wider effect. The job profile of scrum master includes narrowing the wider focus, keeping an eye on every sprint meeting and improvising in the next sprint for smooth functioning.
- To communicate in a novel way
- The way in which the project manager communicates is entirely different from the way carries effective communication. The project manager spends much of his time in managing, collecting and verifying resources. Here the communication follows the top-down approach. The project manager has to ensure smooth communication.
- However, in case of being a scrum master, the equality is followed. solves the queries that occur due to miscommunication between various team members. In agile methodology the team members communication amongst themselves without the need of . He is the only one in charge of solving the queries if they occur at any point in time. Hence allowing the subtle functioning of the team.
- Client managing
- The project manager works with his tentacles in many arenas like managing, time supervising, resource management and then is responsible for the overall development of the final project.
- However, the scrum master’s role has been simplified in this aspect. In agile methodology, each and every aspect is decided in the sprint session which usually consists of two to three weeks. In sprint meetings, all the members of the developing team, the scrum master, the stakeholders and the developer decide the goals intimately and collectively.
Attributes required while transitioning from the role of the project manager to scrum master
- A project manager can be termed as the one who drives the project basically the one who gives the directions.
- Project manager follows a top-down approach where he has to be a decision maker. But the main function of Scrum master is to act as a facilitator, who ensures smooth work rather than directly;by giving a decision.
- The project manager has to take care of the entire project at once and mostly alone, he is a teacher.
- In traditional approach, the project manager is the main communication link amongst all the team members. However the scrum master act as a supporter of the team.
Traps to be cautious of
While taking the leap from being a project manager to becoming a Scrum Master, there are many pits where we can fall, if we are unaware of the aspects involved. This section, we will be discussing about the traps we should be aware of.
- Meeting Organiser Trap
In agile methodology, the most crucial aspect is to be very communicative amongst the team members. As it does not follow the top down hierarchical approach, each team member has to get the work done. Sometimes scrum master has to organize the meetings and all but he should not fall in the trap of being a Meeting organizer. Because a scrum master can be a facilitator but not a personal assistant to administration.
- You are not a leader
The project manager in a traditional sense is a team leader as he has to see every high and low involved in the project. However, in the agile methodology, does not function as a leader of the team, he is merely a facilitator. He has to ensure smooth functioning without being a leader.
- Neglecting the Team Spirit
The agile methodology can become a little cumbersome if not properly understood. So in this approach, one has to be a very approachable team member while being able to maintain his/her individuality. So must never undermine the value of team spirit. He has to act as a friend and sometimes like a mentor accordingly.
- The rigidness
The most common trap to fall while transitioning from project manager to a scrum master is to become rigid and follow all the rules. However, that is not the way this role works. A must be very versatile and perform many roles according to the needs of the project.
Every company is fast approaching the agile methodology, so the role of the project manager has come under the hanging sword. To ensure market suitability as well as to increase one’s demand to project manager must move towards the role be the efficient and most effective cog in the wheel of the corporate world.