In order to treat tiles with varnish sealer, you don’t have to make any special preparations. And there is no need in buying additional materials and equipment for that purpose.
All you need is paver sealer. Reviews of different types of the best paver sealers you can find for example on this page.
To properly treat paving tile, you need to do the following:
- Thoroughly clean the surface of the tile.
- Apply several layers of varnish with the help of a roller, brush or a pulverizer, at certain time intervals.
- You should let the treated surface dry for two weeks.
- With tile that has a pore structure, you must apply a lot of layers.
- It is recommended that you treat the surface in dry weather conditions.
Important: for better performance, use varnish sealer when the outside temperature is above 10 degrees C.
Hydrophobization: Powerful Protection From Environmental Factors
It is important to follow two main rules when laying paving tile. Those are a proper laying of the tile and immediate treatment of pavement with a protective layer. Thus, today homeowners use hydrophobizator to create a Wet stone look of their pavement. By applying a special layer, you can protect the surface of the pavement from weather conditions and various polluting elements.
Hydrophobization suggests an ability of the material to saturate itself (soak) with water solutions. Special hydrophobizators are used in cases of frequent exposure to water, precipitation, dew, and other moist elements.
Water in the form of atmospheric precipitation, falling on the unprotected surface of the paving tile, destroys the structure of the material. It happens because such water is not really pure.
Quite often, water is saturated with various impurities mixed with industrial wastes and exhaust gases. Even rainwater can damage the structure of the tile material.
If the surface of the tile is constantly moist, it becomes a breeding ground for mold, moss, which subsequently leads to the destruction of the material.
According to PrizedReviews.com, the greatest danger is the appearance of ice on the surface of the tile in below-zero temperatures. The tile just stars cracking.
Techniques for Applying Hydrophobizers
A protective layer can be applied in several ways:
- A superficial method can be performed by spraying, watering or applying a solution with a brush or a roller. You can apply one or more layers of the product. You can start using your sidewalk no earlier than one day after the treatment. While the surface is getting dry, it is necessary to ensure that moisture does not get on the surface of the treated area;
- A volumetric method of application of the hydrophobizer is used in the process of laying the tile. Sealer is added to the basic solution during the production of the tile material. The advantage of the volumetric method is in the sealing: it prevents moisture from getting deep into the structural layers of the material;
- A forced method of treatment is performed through holes that are drilled in the tile. The solution is injected into the holes under pressure, which provides reliable protection to the material.
Sealing solutions for a Wet stone look can be water-based (water with silicone) or consist of polymers. Polymeric particles of sealers are able to penetrate deep into the layers of the material, and the lifetime of the tile after such treatment increases by 10 years. However, treatment of paving tiles with a water-based hydrophobizer provides a protective layer that lasts a maximum of 3 years.
Tips for Using a Sealer
In order to treat the tile with a protective sealer, it is necessary to know how to properly use the hydrophobizer. Apply a protective sealer by following these simple rules:
- Before treating the entire surface, it is recommended that you try the solution on a small piece of tile, to test it. Follow the instructions attached to the solution when you are using a sealer.
- The treated tile must be clean and dry. It is necessary to seal the existing cracks on the tile and to remove the stains and smudges from the surface. If you apply the solution to a freshly laid tile, the material does not need additional treatment before the application of a protective layer.
- If there is a need for the urgent treatment of a wet surface, you should understand that such protection will not last long. You can apply the Neoguard hydrophobizer, which is alcohol-based, to a damp surface.
- Apply the solution abundantly but without drips. Each layer is applied after the previous one is fully absorbed but not completely dry.
Important: if the solution has low saturation capacity, you should remove the excess with a sponge or a soft piece of tissue without waiting until it dries completely. Treated tile is considered well-protected 24 hours after treatment, which is sufficient: the solution will get completely absorbed and dry. Within a day after applying sealer layers, it is necessary to protect the surface from exposure to the sunlight.