A severe brain injury can damage the tissues of your brain. However, tissues can recover gradually and perform their functions. The recovery process can take a lot of time ranging from six months to 1 year, but rehabilitation helps speed up your healing procedure. It helps in channelizing the healing abilities of the body and the relearning processes of the brain. With this, the individual tends to heal quickly and in an efficient manner.
The rehabs’ main motive is to ensure that every patient is performing their daily routine independently and safely. There are several rehabilitation options for you to choose from depending upon the person’s capability to perform its programs. The team who provides the treatment will advise the patient or refer him to the most suitable rehab site.
Problems Addressed By The Patients With Brain Injuries
There are several issues faced by a person who suffered a brain trauma:
- People may suffer through thinking troubles such as difficulty with language, judgment, memory, concentration, and problem-solving.
- Physical difficulties like issues while moving or swallowing, lack of strength, and coordination.
- Some people may also have to deal with sensory problems like smelling, hearing, touching, and vision changes.
- Individuals suffering from a brain injury can experience changes in their moods, impulsiveness, and irritability.
- People with brain issues tend to have a high temperament, which is not good for them and their families.
- Depression can be another clinical disorder that the victim may have to go through. In such a case, consulting a psychiatrist is important.
Need Of Rehab After The Brain Injury
There are many reasons why you should visit a rehabilitation center for effectively treating your brain injury:
- It enhances the potential of a person to function properly in his community and home.
- It helps in aiding the physical and psychological issues caused by traumatic brain injuries.
- When any person goes through a brain injury, he needs a lot of emotional support. He gets this emotional and societal support from rehabilitation.
- It encourages you to adjust according to the changes occurring during the recovery of your trauma.
- It also helps prevent complications of the brain traumas such as bedsores (also known as pressure ulcers), blood clots, pneumonia, breathing issues, pain, muscle spasm, muscle weakness, bladder problems, etc.
Is There Any Risk Of Rehab After A Brain Trauma?
Rehabilitations are not likely to cause any trouble. However, there can be risks while performing the treatment procedures such as physical therapy. This may lead to new injuries or may even worsen the existing trauma. This is why it is essential to be careful while performing the treatment.
The specialists must also take care of the patients if they are adequately performing the therapy or not. Make sure that if you face any problem, discuss it with your healthcare for better advice.
Different Rehabilitation Settings
- Inpatient rehabilitation: This setting includes experts for people who are not ready to be released from the hospitals. These neurological rehabs provide the patient a proper environment for their further treatment. A well-organized program is made to be carried out throughout the day.
- Community rehabs: After the inpatient rehab stay, some patients can be transferred to the residential units depending upon their conditions. Here, they are free to enhance their independent survival skills. This will make the patients able to live on their own. Some people can be ordered to go straight back to their homes. An individual therapist takes care of the patient in their families only.
- Outpatient rehabilitation: People who are not suffering from significant traumas can be asked to return to their homes, or else they can get treatment from some local hospital.
What Is The Role Of A Family Member In Rehabs?
Family members are the pillars that give emotional support to the injured person. They play a significant role in the contribution to the rehabilitation process. Family members have close relationships with the patients, so they must communicate in advance with the professionals.
Psychological problems take so much time to recover and may also cause long-term difficulties for the victim and their family members. Friends and relatives provide valuable information about the victim’s character and choices. These details about the victim help the professionals to understand them better.
Steps To Take Before Taking The Therapy
It is the right of an individual to know all the details about the procedure he will have. The following steps should be taken into account before you think of taking any test or treatment:
- Understand the reason why you are going to perform the test. Also, ask the name of the procedure or the test from your professional.
- What are the outcomes that you should expect from your treatment process? It is essential to know the results before you agree to any method prescribed by your expert.
- Ask your specialist if there are any risks, complications, or side effects in the therapy they are providing.
- Another essential point that you must know is who will do your test and what his qualifications are. You can also ask them the location of the test.
- In case you aren’t willing to take the therapy, then ask the expert what would happen if you don’t take the treatment, or is there an alternative test that you can take.
- Another point to know is whom you can call in case of discomfort or any problem post the therapy.
- The last step is to ask how much you have to pay for the procedure.
To Sum Up
Brain injuries can impose a lot of restrictions on our bodies. A person might have to face several dilemmas while undergoing his treatment. However, these dilemmas can be well managed by specialists. Therefore, it is better to get regular assistance from rehabilitation. Learn more about brain injury rehabilitation on the Everest website.
Now that you know all the wonders that rehabilitation can provide you post your brain surgery, you must also visit rehab in such cases. We hope that we have provided you enough information that will surely help you.