If you are planning to have AV equipment in your living room, you should start with the right acoustic arrangement of the space. Soundproofing is very important if you are planning to have the right ambiance in the room that will fully expose your home theater potential. Acoustic preparation for a room doesn’t depend on the brand and the cost of the equipment, if room has soundproofing any home theater will have a quite pleasant sound.
Cost of a ceiling that has soundproof and that doesn’t have it has not a big difference in the cost. If you are planning a plasterboard ceiling, you have a few choices for a sound reduction:
- If you replace ordinary drywall with perforated.
- A ceiling with two or three sheets of the drywall becomes heavy and ceases to “tighten” from sound waves.
- The usage of a translucent stretch ceiling to be ideal. This is a synthetic fabric, similar to the material of a conventional stretch ceiling, only with small perforations, almost invisible from the floor level.
- A multilevel or “broken” ceiling for acoustics is also much better than a single-level and smooth
- You can make only partial ceiling with the acoustic elements from perforated drywall or soundproof panels using them as design features.
If you want to make walls with the plasterboard then you should try to make the same way as with the ceiling, namely, sew 2-3 layers of sheets of the drywall with sizing between the sheets. Make the walls not smooth, but multi-level or radial, not parallel to each other. This kind of feature can be not on the four walls, but only on the two if you need it. The effect of echo compensation will still be almost the same. Part of the decorative coating is desirable to replace with translucent elements. For masking, they can be painted in the color of the walls.
In the living room, the best flooring is parquet, marble, or tiled (rarely). If you are on the stage of construction you can think about the “floating floor”. With a “floating floor”, the sound penetrates into the lower space 3 times less than with traditional casting. In addition, the vibrations transmitted to the floor by the front speakers and subwoofer are radically damped.
The room where you will keep your AV equipment should be rectangular and symmetrical. Symmetry in the room is a very important aspect of creating the right sound in the room. The center, where is the auditorium, should be occupied with the seating furniture- sofa, armchairs, loveseats. Passage throughout the room shouldn’t be in the center, because this will have an effect on the viewing process and quality of the sound.
Also, there are some things you should consider when it comes to the doors and windows.
- The door should be lockable, if the entry will be empty it will affect the sound.
- The door should be massive and should close tightly.
- Windows and fireplace are nor desirable for a room with the AV equipment. The best way if the room will not have any. If you have a big room and there is space without windows you can use it for your home theater and equip it properly, dividing room with the partitions, if it is needed.
But if the room has windows, you have some solutions for this problem
- You can use dense dark curtains
- Special roller blinds for home theater. Yes, their price is higher than price of the regular ones, but they, without doubt, will be a better choice if you want to fully feel your AV equipment potential.
If you have a small living room
You shouldn’t deprive yourself of the AV equipment if you have a small room. You should just keep in mind that it shouldn’t be crowded.
You will need some modern sofas and loveseats, that will be comfortable and still will not take too much space in the room. For this task, you can use this online store that without a doubt will provide some cozy and yet stylish models.
A small room means that will be not so many places that you can use, so better to choose equipment that is mounted or just narrow.
Here some features that you can use to optimize space:
- Use equipment that doesn’t take much space. It shouldn’t be made at the cost with the loose of the sound quality. Fortunately, now we have a wide choice of small and yet good speakers.
- Another solution of the problem can be shelves and walls. You can put them on the shelves and mount on the wall, but don’t incline them if the manufacturer doesn’t provide this option.
- Also, the sound system can be placed in another room, but it is not desirable and this will be an extreme case that should be avoided. In this case, don’t forget about the remote control.
Take care of a room to have the smallest amount of things. The minimalistic or high-tech style will help to solve this problem. Wooden and glass objects are not the best elements to create good sound. You can use acoustic panels that will be used as sound diffusers. You will appreciate this advantage if you will place them on the wall opposite the screen and you will get this majestic sound effect.
If you want the best effect you should choose the proper equipment and for this, you can read more here.
Lighting for the best effect.
Spotlights are the best element for home theater. They should be placed on the various levels(don’t forget the walls) and divided by the switchers. With this decision, you will have the possibility to change light brightness, so when you want to drink a cup of tea or maybe take dinner it will be more comfortable.
The slowly fading light effect will create a comfy ambiance of a real cinema.
The most important aspects of furniture choosing are comfort and your personal preferences. Maybe you like to watch a movie while sitting in the armchair or maybe you prefer it by lying on the couch. A sofa is the best choice for a small room to save some space. Maybe some living room set with the ottoman can serve you well if you like to watch movies with your friends or family. But don’t forget that furniture pieces should be comfortable.