Invisalign treatment is popular among teenagers and adults. It is quite common for people to have the embarrassing issue of crowded or crooked teeth. The most common solution to this orthodontic problem might be to simply get braces. However, there is also the need for teeth straightening that is why there is another option being used which is called Invisalign.
It is referred to a clear set of hard plastic aligners that are fitted into your mouth. These need to be checked and replaced throughout the course of treatment in the first months while the teeth are aligned into a proper position by the doctor. For more information about Invisalign treatment and comparison with regular braces click here!
The reason for the popularity of this treatment is the fact that they are practically invisible due to them being clear. However, just like with everything, there are pros and cons to Invisalign. Knowing about the details will help you make an informed decision.
- Comfort: One of the main advantages of it is that they are more physically comfortable to wear. You don’t even have to worry about getting those painful cuts or nicks in your mouth as there are no brackets or wires. The aligners are smooth and don’t irritate the mouth. They are similar to a mouth heard but lack any type of sharp edges.
- Attractive: As the Invisalign is clear, it means that your mouth wouldn’t be full of metal. This will make you appear attractive and the majority of people won’t even be able to tell if you are wearing anything. This means that you will be able to smile more freely and wouldn’t feel self-conscious.
- Convenient: This treatment is the norm when it comes to teeth straightening. It is convenient as you do not have to deal with any metal braces. They are widely available.
- Easy to Remove: The Invisalign aligners are easy to remove and can be removed whenever you have to floss, brush or eat. It is something which you can’t do with braces. This allows you to eat the foods that you want and achieve much better oral hygiene. It leads to a reduction in the risk of developing gum diseases throughout the teeth straightening process. No need to worry about food particles being stuck with this treatment.
- Requires Minimal Maintenance: The best part is that Invisalign aligners require minimal maintenance. Even though, they get dingy over time due to being worn, but a toothbrush can be dipped in a bit of water and bleach to freshen them up. Stains will be eliminated when you scrub them. Only do this every other day.
There are some disadvantages as well.
- Expensive: The first thing which you need to keep in mind is that it is normally expensive. Dental insurance does not cover them and that means you have to pay around $4,000 to $8,000. Anyone on a tight budget might get discouraged due to this.
- Increase in Attachments: There is an increase in attachments that has become the norm for Invisalign. These are normally enamel ridges that would stick to the teeth in a similar way as brackets do with regular braces. The attachments are needed to click into the Invisalign aligners so as they fit better and achieve better results when it comes to shifting teeth into proper They also make it more likely for people to notice that you have treatment.
- Need to be worn for 22 Hours a Day: What might put people off is the fact that Invisalign needs to be worn for at least a total of 22 hours a day. They can only be removed for eating or for brushing. This means if you head out for a party or a date, you would need to wear them.
- Tooth Discomfort: It can get uncomfortable or even painful when you get new Invisalign aligner trays. Even though it is only referred to as pressure by the orthodontist, it doesn’t mean that it isn’t painful since the teeth get adjusted to a new set of aligners. A pain reliever might be needed to help relieve you from the pain and adjust to it.
- Inconvenient: Invisalign aligners can be convenient but very cumbersome at the same time. Having to remove them every time you eat or brush teeth can be daunting and embarrassing at times. The need to remove them each and every time is what makes them inconvenient.