Having the chance to live on a tropical island is a dream of many people. It would be quite amazing to call this beautiful island, Koh Samui, your home. At any given time, you would be able to snorkel, kayak, hike or enjoy the sunny days on the beaches. There are many options for foreigners to find work in this island but know that to get a visa might be a little bit difficult and time-consuming. Here are some things to know if you are planning on moving to this beautiful island:
1. Housing and rent – one of the most developed island in Thailand is definitely Koh Samui. If you are looking for rental options, you could rent a simple bungalow (without a kitchen), for around 700 baht, which is around $30. So, if you are planning on buying food every day, this could be a good option for you. A one-bedroom house with a kitchen is probably going to cost you around 8000 baht ($250), and if you are looking for a fully-furnished house that also includes wi-fi, it will cost you around 10.000 baht ($315). However, if you are looking to buy a house, it is better if you check the real estate in Koh Samui listing.
2. Public transport – there is no public transport in Koh Samui, but there is a red van with two benches called a Song Taew (which means two rows). However, it has quite a random schedule, so you will have to wait on the side of the road in order to catch it when it passes by.
If you do not wish to use the Song Taew, you could instead rent a scooter. It is one of the most popular means of transportation on the island, you can rent them for 250 baht ($8) for one day, or you could opt for a monthly rental which costs around 3000 baht ($94). Gasoline for the scooter is around 45 baht per liter, which means that it is around $1.50.
3. Job opportunities – most foreigners find jobs as English teachers or in the hospitality industry, both of which are quite popular jobs. The best way to find a teaching job is to leave your CV at an English learning school.
4. Visas – this is something that causes a bit of stress for every person who loves Thailand. When you arrive in Thailand by plane, you will get a visa for 30 days, and by road, you will get 15 days. You will be able to extend it by 14 days, but it will cost you 1900 baht ($60), to do that. What you can do is take the mini-bus to the border, get your passport stamped and then come back right away. This is probably one of the cheapest options for extending your stay.
5. Food – with every few steps that you take, you will be able to see Thai kitchens and make-shift restaurant that every person enjoys to eat at. The average price at a restaurant is about 70-120 baht ($2-$4), and for the fine dining restaurants, it is around 2000 baht ($63) per person.
6. Activities – those who are searching for a little bit of action or relaxation can be sure that they will find joy on this island. If you are asking people from globosurfer.com, among the best things you can do is to rent a kayak, paddleboard, or a Jet Ski which are available on almost every beach in Koh Samui. There are many breathtaking waterfalls and a beautiful garden on top of the mountain. If you want to experience the mountain, you can go on a safari tour.
Living in Koh Samui is not expensive, however, since the culture, food, and traditions are different, it might take you some time to get used to it. After all, it is one of the most developed and beautiful islands in Thailand. If you want to find out more about why living in Thailand is a great option, visit IGLU.